Iowa Autism Friendly Scouting Unit Locator
Iowa Autism Friendly Scouting Units listed have committed to doing their best to providing a welcoming and accepting atmosphere and will establish best practices to make their units more sensory-friendly. These units have made contact with us and have agreed to the five points listed under “How to Get my Unit, District, Council or Program Listed” section below.Indicates that the unit has a Unit Special Needs Coordinator, Autism Support Specialist or similar position.
Listing of Units
2805 SW Snyder Blvd, Ste 109
Ankeny, IA 50023
Located in Ankeny, Iowa. Chartered by the Knights of Columbus. Troop 73 is a chartered member of the Boy Scouts of America, Mid-Iowa Council. Troop meetings are held Monday’s at 7:00PM at Snyder & Associates, with monthly overnight camping trips.
We are a diverse and open group and create a learning environment catered to all scouts’ learning needs.
The unit will be receiving an Autism and Scouting Leadership Training Kit. The unit serves boys from the ages 11 – 18. They are welcoming of scouts of all abilities.
How to Get my Unit, District, Council or Program Listed
- Name of the Unit
- Mailing address
- Contact Name(s), position, email address and/or phone number
- Any Social Media Links or Website links for your program
- Any special information you’d like to share (optional)
- To practice inclusion and accept scouts into your unit of all abilities.
- To provide a sensory break area or have a plan in place to provide breaks for scouts that may need one.
- To show acceptance and work with each scout’s family to make sure they are also part of each scout’s journey. This also helps the unit leadership understand any strengths, learning styles, challenges or triggers that each youth may have.
- To provide youth and adult training on disability awareness at least once every twelve months.
- To be willing to learn about autism, ASD and any other co-condition the scout is living with.
The Autism and Scouting Program is happy to provide you with leadership and volunteer training resources upon request. We highly recommend having each scout in your unit have a sensory questionnaire or profile on file.
Submit to firstname.lastname@example.org