Positive Support for Individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorders
There are a number of groups and organizations that are either led by adults on the autism spectrum or have a strong base of adult Autistic or Aspie supporters. Autism Empowerment believes strongly in the power of positive collaboration and sharing resources and information with others. We appreciate organizations that make sure to include individuals with ASD in conversation, in activities, in leadership and in daily operations.
Here are a few organizations and online communities that Autism Empowerment and other visitors have come across and thought useful to share. The list is not all-inclusive and if you have your own resources to share, please let us know.
There are also quite a few other organizations around the nation and world that support individuals on the spectrum and provide a range of other resources as well. You can find a number of those organizations in our National and International Resources section.
- AdultASD.org – http://www.adultasd.org – Resources, events and useful items of interest for the adult autism community of Seattle, the Pacific Northwest and beyond
- AFN – Autism Friends Network – AFN is a solidarity and campaigning group that is raising public awareness of the autism rights movement. Our group, made up mainly of Aspies, welcomes anyone on the autism spectrum.
- ASAN – Autistic Self Advocacy Network – Nothing About Us Without Us – ASAN is an advocacy organization run by and for individuals on the autism spectrum.
- AWA – Aspergers Women Association – AWA is the first global network dedicated to empowering women and girls with Aspergers and Autism.
- AWN – Autism Women’s Network – Building a community of autistic girls and women, their families, friends and supporters.
- Autism Network International – An autistic-run self-help and advocacy organization for autistic people.
- GRASP – Global and Regional Aspergers Syndrome Partnership – Improving the lives of adults and teens on the autism spectrum through community outreach, peer supports, education and advocacy.
- WrongPlanet.net – Wrong Planet is a web community designed for individuals (and parents / professionals of those) with Autism, Asperger’s Syndrome, ADHD, PDDs and other neurological differences. They provide a discussion forum where members communicate with each other, an article section with exclusive articles and how-to guides, a blogging feature, and a chatroom for real-time communication with Aspies.
Submit a Link
If you have a link that you would like to submit, please e-mail it to firstname.lastname@example.org
We will be more than happy to review the link and consider it.
Autism Empowerment Disclaimer. Autism Empowerment provides this information for reference as a free service. Efforts are made to ensure listings are accurate, current and legitimate. Most of the resources listed above are non-profit, however some may have for-profit components. Autism Empowerment does not personally endorse the ability or services of those listed and we urge users to use independent judgement and request references when considering the usage of services. Some organizations or services may appear in more than one category.